Morning Light Crewmember Profile: Jesse FieldingAge: 19Hometown: North Kingstown, R.I.Schools: North Kingstown High, University of Rhode IslandJobs: Coaches sailing at Conanicut YC in Jamestown, RI. Performs fiberglass and rigging work at Atlantic Yacht Services.Having recently been named to the 15-member crew that will sail the TP52 Morning Light in the 2007 Transpac Race, Jesse Fielding is on cloud nine. Of course, prior to selection trials in Long Beach, Calif. last week, Fielding was consumed with expectancy. To chart the course of this young sailor's hopes, Sailing World's Franz Ritt and Michael Lovett caught up with Fielding just before, during, and after the trials. The interviews follow in reverse chronological order.Post-Trials Interview (Michael Lovett)Now that you're going to be a movie star, have you been given the royal treatment back home?Everyone's definitely happy that I made it, and proud. And it's great to be back with the people that supported you beforehand. Right now I'm going down to Long Island to watch my little brother race in the 420 NAs. He supported me when I went to the trials, now it's my time to support him. How did you prepare yourself for the possibility that you wouldn't make the cut? Scott Ikle gave us sort of a somber soliloquy about what happens if we don't make it, and if we do. On the day of the selections, we were all sort of hanging out nervously in the hallway or watching movies in our rooms, trying our best not to think about it. For me, I was just like, "I know I have a 50/50 chance, let's watch 'Mission Impossible 3' again." But I had fully prepared myself not to make it. I'd say my expectations were 75-25. 75 percent chance I don't make it, 25 percent I do. Still, as I made my final approach up to the room, I had this unbelievable sinking feeling, something I'd never felt before.Having had a chance to see who made it and who didn't, do you have a better idea of what the judges were looking for?It was interesting: we'd each go up to meet with the committee [for the final selection] one at a time, and whenever someone came down, we'd find out if they'd been selected or turned down. Each time someone came down, we were building our opinion of what the judges wanted. Still, it was tough to come up with a consensus. The judges took a lot of different people. I personally think they were just looking at attitude. You had to have a positive attitude. They wanted to see some sailing ability, but more coachability-how willing one was to pick up on a new boat that they'd never sailed, to pick up a whole new skill set, how willing you were to jump into a new situation and just give yourself up to the greater power, so to speak.What happens between now and January? I'll be going back to URI to do my fall semester, and I'm looking forward to getting that in the bag so I'll have a full year of college under my belt. And we've got an important semester of college sailing going on this fall, so I'll be focusing on small boats for the time being. Also, getting ready to go to Hawaii, I'm going to try to do some physical training. Will you be able to get college credit for the Morning Light project?Hopefully. I'm applying for my spring semester to be treated as a semester abroad, and if I'm lucky I'll be able to snag a few course credits out of the deal. Have you had to sign your life away to Disney?Oh man, there have been so many permission slips. They've got a lawyer dedicated entirely to the project. Basically, from January to July, Disney owns us. And that's fine with me. Roy was saying, "Hey, do you guys want to sail a race from L.A. to San Francisco prior to the Transpac?" And we were like, "Sure." Then he asked if we wanted to sail the boat upwind from Hawaii back to the mainland to get ready for the race, and we were like, "Absolutely." Has it hit home yet that your face will be plastered across thousands of movie screens?It's definitely a sobering thought. I mean, like anybody else, I watch a lot of movies and I've fantasized about being up on the silver screen, but you always figure, "It's not going to happen to me, it's for people like Tom Cruise."And now I'm going to be up there! It's an unbelievable feeling, it's a high I've never felt before. I'm going to be in a movie! That's something that a lot of people dream about, and to have that happen to me is truly amazing.