MAPFRE, the Spanish-flagged team led by skipper Xabi Fernández has won Leg 2 of the Volvo Ocean Race, a 7,000 nautical mile marathon from Lisbon, Portugal to Cape Town, South Africa.
“It’s amazing, we’re super-happy. We arrived here in one piece and in front of the others; we can’t ask for more,” skipper Xabi Fernández said moments after finishing.
MAPFRE trailed Dongfeng Race Team on the long charge to the south, but last weekend, 14 days into the leg and after crossing the Doldrums, navigator Juan Vila and skipper Xabi Fernández put in a quick gybe to the southwest that Dongfeng didn’t match. It turned out to be a winning move; within hours the Spanish team had a lead it wouldn’t relinquish.
In contrast, after leading from the first night, Dongfeng suddenly found itself in fourth place two weeks into the leg. But skipper Charles Caudrelier led his team to an inspiring fight-back. Over the final days, Dongfeng clawed its way back into a well-deserved second place.
“A good second place,” said Caudrelier. “For sure at one moment we were hoping for better, but a few days ago it was much worse and we made a fantastic comeback.
“Well done to MAPFRE, they did less mistakes than us, but we never gave up, the crew never complained, they just worked on the comeback… We have amazing speed in strong winds, we’ve worked on that a lot, and it was unbelievable, we were nearly a knot faster sometimes.”
Completing the podium is Vestas 11th Hour Racing, the winner of Leg 1. Skipper Charlie Enright’s team was always in the mix with the leaders on this leg, but couldn’t find a way to slip into the lead.
“We’re happy with a podium result against a lot of good teams,” Enright said, dockside in Cape Town. “We’re not satisfied yet with how we’re sailing the boat, so we still have a lot of work to do, but we’ll keep chipping away. We’re still trying to get faster through the water and streamline our decision-making, but it’s a long race. We have time.”
Leg 2 Results
- MAPFRE — FINISHED — 15:10.33 UTC – 19 days, 01h:10m:33s
- Dongfeng Race Team — FINISHED — 18:02.39 UTC – 19 days, 04h:02m:39s
- Vestas 11th Hour Racing — FINISHED — 19:37.53 UTC – 19 days, 05h:37m:53s
- Team Brunel — FINISHED — 00:14.47 UTC – 19 days, 10h:14m:47s
- team AkzoNobel — FINISHED — 21:24.40 UTC – 20 days, 07h:24m:40s
- Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag — FINISHED — 21:55.21 UTC – 20 days, 07h:55m:21s
- Turn the Tide on Plastic — FINISHED — 21:56.29 UTC – 20 days, 07h:56m:29s
Overall Leaderboard After Leg 2
- MAPFRE 14 points
- Vestas 11th Hour Racing 13 points
- Dongfeng Race Team 11 points
- team AkzoNobel 7 points
- Team Brunel 6 points
- Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag 5 points
- Turn the Tide on Plastic 2 points