Hurricane Sandy was the single largest disaster for recreational boats on record in the U.S.
November 15, 2012
On Nov. 14, BoatUS released statistics that show late October's Hurricane Sandy as the "single-largest industry loss since the Association began keeping track in 1966." Here are some of their estimates of the damage:
- 65,000 recreational boats damaged or lost as a result of Sandy.
- 32,000 boats damaged in N.Y.
- 25,000 in N.J.
- 2,500 in Conn.
- 6,000 others in various states.
- $650 million in estimated losses to recreational boaters.
- Dollar damage to recreational boats (only) in New York estimated at $324 million.
- Dollar damage of $242 million in New Jersey.
- Dollar damage of $23 million in Connecticut.
- In the 2005 storm season, Hurricane Wilma and Katrina damage was estimated at over $700 million combined.