On Nov. 14, BoatUS released statistics that show late October’s Hurricane Sandy as the “single-largest industry loss since the Association began keeping track in 1966.” Here are some of their estimates of the damage:
– 65,000 recreational boats damaged or lost as a result of Sandy.
– 32,000 boats damaged in N.Y.
– 25,000 in N.J.
– 2,500 in Conn.
– 6,000 others in various states.
– $650 million in estimated losses to recreational boaters.
– Dollar damage to recreational boats (only) in New York estimated at $324 million.
– Dollar damage of $242 million in New Jersey.
– Dollar damage of $23 million in Connecticut.
– In the 2005 storm season, Hurricane Wilma and Katrina damage was estimated at over $700 million combined.